Sunday, February 3, 2008

Persepolis


Friday, while perusing the mangled shelves of Borders, I came upon the graphic novel version of "Persepolis." I had really wanted to see the film (IFC or Angelika, can't recall) but never got around to it as it means an irritating bus ride and then subway and then awkward wandering as I'd most likely be alone (as I have a problem with asking people to do things with me). And wandering Manhattan alone makes me feel... uncomfortable (in the awkward, not unsafe sense).


So, I bought the novel. I am very glad I did.


Perseplis is a memoir by an Iranian woman who talks about her changing relationship with her country in the form of a graphic novel. Because of my Germanophilia, I have neglected pretty much every other culture known to man. In my free time I watch German films and read Kafka, Günther Grass, Hesse, Schiller, Rilke, Goethe, etc... And while I thought this made me multi-cultural, in reality it only makes me bi-cultural. I NEED to expand my horizons.


So, "Persepolis" is wonderful. I am a big proponent of the graphic novel anways. But I am finding that I am really fascinated by the subject material. I did a report my Sophomore year on Westernization from the POVs of Peter the Great and the Ayatollah Khomeini so I had some background information on what was occuring in Iran. But I find that now I am more fascinated by it than I was then.


There are so many interesting cultures in the world (yes, besides Teutonic). I have been interested in many over the years but am admitting I have fallen into a rut. What mainly pulls me to books like "Persepolis" is my fascination with how culture defines us; whether we remain within our orginal borders or not (much of this comes from my disillusionment with my own country).


What is also intreging for me is the art. I would consider myself a writer and fine artist and of late have been working to combine the two. Seeing it done so sucessfully is inspiring.


This book is quite literally all of my interests wrapped into one. Cultural studies, literature and fine art. Do I smell a Div II project idea?

No comments: