Thursday, December 27, 2007

X-files


We wanted to believe... we wanted to call out. On August 20th and September 5th 1977, two spacecraft were launched from the Kennedy Space Flight Centre, Florida. They were called Voyager. Each one carries a message. A gold-plated record depicting images, music and sounds of our planet, arranged so that it may be understood if ever intercepted by a technologically mature extraterrestrial civilisation. Thirteen years after its launch, Voyager I passed the orbital plane of Neptune and essentially left the solar system. Within that time there were no further messages sent, nor are any planned. We wanted to listen. On October 12th 1992 NASA initiated the high resolution microwave survey. A decade long search by radio telescope scanning ten million frequencies for any transmission by extraterrestrial intelligence. Less than one year later first term Senator Richard Brian successfully championed an amendment which terminated the project. I wanted to believe, but the tools had been taken away. The X-Files had been shut down. They closed our eyes... our voices have been silenced.... our ears now deaf to the realms of extreme possibilities.


from: Little Green Men


I love the X-files. Someone once told me it was a waste of my time to get involved in this show, that conspiracy theories and extraterrestrial/paranormal musings were a complete waste of time. That's all well and good for that person, but I for one am intrigued by these "extreme possibilities." I wholeheartedly believe that things occur out there that are more intense and fanciful than anything we could dream up. Decisions are constantly being made that affect the lives of citizens of the earth. We can ignore them, certainly. But I want to awaken my senses and imagination and intellectual curiosity. I want to believe.

No comments: